Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Chapter 2: Emotions Trump Learning


Emotions trump learning...

This statement really had me perplexed at first. I tend to read too much into everything and really make things more complicated then they really need to be. Just as a student would do if their emotions were effecting their learning! A simple statement such as, "emotions trump learning," can make me feel anxiety and really make a difference in the way that I perform, or in this case what I write on my blog! My particular case has nothing to do with feeling intimidated or scared of a teacher or the comments by the teacher, but it is still is an example of my emotions trumping my learning, or the way I perform. The case of a students emotions trumping their learning in the classroom, is something that happens all too often. When I look back on my favorite teachers I remember the ones that I felt the most comfortable with, in turn, allowing me to learn more effectively. If you think of it even in a college setting, in our own cohort, I think we all feel more comfortable learning and working in a group setting now because we have had two semesters together and we all feel very close and comfortable with one another. One of the most important things to be aware of as a teacher is your students emotions and how they learn best.

1 comment:

  1. You can see the importance of helping the student feel comfortable with their fellow students as well as with you.

    ReplyDelete